Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Healthy Eating Part Two: Freezer Meals

I have to admit, when my friend Mika sent me photos of her pimped out fridge (with enough freezer meals for a MONTH), I cringed a little inside. My immediate reaction to freezer anything, was sodium-laden chemical bombs. Then I got to looking in my own freezer and realized at any given time, I have strawberries and bananas for smoothies, ginger and garlic for cooking, and peppers for when I don't feel like chopping. I was interested in learning more, and following Mika's advice, scoured the internet for different recipes. The result of my trials are the recipes listed below. The whole concept here is that you spend about an hour once every few weeks, assembling easy meals that are then laid flat in your freezer, and thrown into the crockpot when you're ready to eat them. I initially tested five recipes, which I'll post here, and made some pretty big modifications based upon health cheats (used homemade canned tomatoes instead of sodium-bomb store bought diced; added more veggies, used less meat, etc), and still came up with some pretty killer recipes. I can't say every single one is as healthy as a rice cake, as sodium is still going to lurk it's evil head wherever we go, but hey, balance that bad boy out with a salad first :)

For those of you who don't own a crockpot, call your mom, borrow hers, and never, ever give it back. That's what I did, and my own Grandmother has eaten meals out of it, commented on the crockpot, and then told me I could keep it, if I kept cooking her meals. Sweet...  For those of you who do own one, but never use it- hopefully these recipes will inspire you to bust that puppy out and dust it off. Either way, I'll gladly take 1 hour preparing several meals for my husband and I and not have to worry about cooking after a busy, hectic, stressful day on my feet at work. Oh, you mean the crockpot maid cooked dinner for us? She really needs a raise!   -Enjoy!


Teriyaki Chicken Freezer Meal Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment