Sunday, January 13, 2013

Healthy eating part 1: Breakfast of Champions!

My husband and I are normally up and out the door in the morning. I'm currently savoring every precious second of sleep I can manage to squeeze in nightly, in between being up all night- so cooking a breakfast in the morning is out of the question. I looked at the ingredients in the crap we were eating for breakfast (no seriously, it literally was crap- looked like crap, tasted like crap.. but was better than no crap I suppose?), and realized there's got to be a better way.

Here's the recipe I followed for homemade Egg and Cheese sandwiches

Ingredients:
18 eggs (I use cage-free, grain fed, mainly to ease my conscience of Chicken Little shot up with antibiotics in a chicken farm).
9 slices of your favorite cheese (I used swiss and cheddar-mozzerella)
18 whole wheat english muffins
Olive oil cooking spray
-You'll also need a muffin tin, a baking sheet, and aluminum foil.
-This will make 18 sandwiches, you can add more or less depending on your ingredients on hand. The entire process to make 18 sandwiches takes about 25-30 minutes. 

-Heat over to 350 degrees.
-Scramble all 18 eggs in a medium size bowl.
-Prepare muffin tin by generously spraying with cooking spray (you can also use butter, but generously coat or the egg will stick like crazy)
-Pour eggs into the muffin tin to about 1/2 inch below the top of the tin
- Cook the eggs for about 8-10 minutes, depending on your oven- until thoroughly cooked through.
-While the eggs are cooking, split the english muffins and lay out on a baking sheet.
-Add 1/4 slice of cheese onto each slice of muffin
-Toast the cheese and bread in the oven while the eggs are cooking, until cheese is melted, and the muffins are toasted.

-Remove muffins and eggs, add eggs to muffins and assemble into a sandwich.
-Wrap in aluminum foil and freeze.
(You could also add cooked bacon, sausage, or ham. We just prefer egg and cheese in the morning).

To re-heat:
-Remove from the freezer the night before, and place in the refrigerator.
-Reheat in the microwave the morning of at 45-60 seconds, until cheese and egg is hot.


Eggs cooked in the muffin tin


Assembly line prep for 18 sandwiches.





Now for the fun part! Alright, I already know this route is much healthier than the frozen breakfast sandwiches since I get to control the ingredients.. but how about being less than 1/2 the cost? My husband and I calculated the cost per sandwich (even if we bought them in bulk), and it equates to $0.50 per sandwich following this recipe, and $1.25 per sandwich store bought. Wowsa! Baby crib, we will be saved up for you in no time! :)

Also, since Spring may eventually get here (Although it's currently 3 degress outside, with 2 feet of snow on my back patio), I save, dry and crush all of my egg shells for compost and soil. I dry the egg shells on a few sheets on paper towels overnight, then crush them using a mortar and pestle, and have been storing them in one of my large blue mason jars. When planting season rolls around, after our last frost, and before we till up the garden, I will add my egg shells to the garden soil. If I'm able to save a lot, I will plant my tomatoes with the crushed egg shells, as this helps to boost the calcium many tomatoes often lack. Free, organic, and non-wasteful.. sounds good to me!
Save those egg shells for Spring planting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment